Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hey Ladies!! Cecilia Stalin

I met Cecilia last year at one of her live shows at our friends' parties in New York City (e.g. Raw Fusion and Mobius Collective), where I finally had a chance to experience her amazing vocal talent live. As a big fan of her collabo track "Waltz for Koop" with KOOP, I was exited to find out that she was collaborating with our homie, Dhundee. Born and raised in Falsterbo, a small village in the south of Sweden, Cecilia Stalin found her way to absorb music in ways she could find-from sleeping under her father's grand piano to writing song with her friends as early as 10 year sold. Her passion for music and jazz in particular led her to study singing at Stockholm's Royal College of Music and then later to the New School University's Jazz and Contemporary Music Program in New York City. Since her studies back in 2003, Cecilia came back to the big apple several times, where she got a chance to play with some great musicians like Harry Withaker, Charles Tolliver, Reggie Workman, and Buster Williams. Since 2004, Cecilia's life has been about music 24/7. When she's not singing, composing, arranging, recording, or teaching, you'll find her passing on her talent as a vocal coach. Make sure to check out her website to listen to her numerous collaborations and give her a shout on her myspace page.

Listen her jazzy collabo track with Dhundee while reading

CECILIA STALIN
WHAT DO YOU DO? I'm a singer and composer and vocal coach
WHERE DO YOU CALL IT HOME? Where I feel comfortable (right now London)
TRUE BEAUTY IS… Life
BEATS…makes me go crazy!! There is something fundamental about a good beat that I cannot describe - It makes me wanna dance, laugh, shout and make my music.
TRUE SEXY IS…confidence
MUSIC IS MY…sanity. keeps me on the ground and vents all my emotions in a amazing way.
ART DOES NOT…have any limits. we put limits on it. what we need to do is challenge it!
MY NIGHTS ARE…my days
THESE 3 TURN ME ON…passion about your craft, eyes, coffe
SELF-KNOWLEDGE …is something I strive to know more about. I would love to meet myself thru someone else's eyes.
ENOUGH OF …'eye for an eye' mentality - I truly hate it! One of my favorite poets said it best - 'An eye for an eye and the whole world would be blind' - Kahlil Gibran. (I'm gonna stop here or you'll have me blabbering on for hoooours...lol)
MY CREATIVITY IS…moody, loving, constant, amazing, melodic, strong, funny, entertaining, silly, sexy, empowering, relaxing, meditative and very very giving.
TRUE POWER IS…to know and love yourself!
LIFE CAN BE...haaaaaaard but fucking amazing at the same time
TO LOVE IS TO…live! Isn't love the key to everything we do? ; )
I'VE GOT FLOW BECAUSE….i do me! Not trying to be someone else.
WHERE CAN WE REACH YOU? on www.ceciliastalin.com, www.myspace.com/ceciliastalin or come thru to one of my gigs and talk to me personally... (NYC in march 2009-check myspace for dates)
WHAT'S NEW FOR 2009? I got a single EP called 'Afro Blue' coming out in February where I have worked with people like Daz-I-Kue (Bugz in the Attic) and Soul Parlour. It's part of a full length album 'In the spirit of Coltrane' due to be released later this year.


Cecilia singing Walts for Koop live at Jazz Re:freshed in London 2/10-08


No comments: