Friday, March 28, 2008

Hey Ladies!!!

When I wrote the song Wrong Lips (I will post it on the blog soon!!!), I was feeling both frustrated and inspired by the ups and downs that come with being a creative and empowered woman. I feel today more than ever, women are really claiming the throne and stepping up to make a change by any means necessary. We are strong. We are beautiful. We are intelligent. We are the future. The beauty of it, is that we are connecting and coming together to create a new world. Through culture, hip-hop, art, fashion, revolution, motherhood, directing, health and technology we are all joining as one.

So, what better way to document this beautiful time on this planet? Give some shine!! Each week we will feature some of the beautiful ladies we are connected with, inspired by and involved with, under the label "Hey Ladies!!" (inspired by Lichiban's personal entry MY GIRLFRIENDS RULE.)

FLY LADY DI
Visual Artist/Live Installations/Dancing Machine

Fly Lady Di takes fly to a whole new level. This lady rocks a party from the moment she walks through the door until the bouncers are pushing last call. All eyes on her. Recently creating a huge buzz by rockin' live painting @ shows, Diana can dance circles around you with her feet and her paint brush.

WHAT DO YOU DO? play by my own rules and try to get away with it
TRUE BEAUTY IS… natural, and undoctored
BEATS… of my heart increase when i'm around him
TRUE SEXY IS… unapologetic confidence
MUSIC IS MY… inspiration - as sounds create visions in my head.
ART DOES NOT… pay very well at the moment, BUT IT SOON WILL!
MY NIGHTS ARE… spent on the computer doing work
THESE 3 TURN ME ON… passion, intelligence and a sense of humor.
SELF-KNOWLEDGE … is key to surviving the pursuit of your dreams
ENOUGH OF … relationship drama -- no need for that right now!
MY CREATIVITY IS… boundless
TRUE POWER IS… freedom of choice
LIFE CAN BE THE... best when you are surrounded by people you love,
even in your darkest times.
TO LOVE IS TO… love oneself first and foremost.
I'VE GOT FLOW BECAUSE… I took the risk of being myself.

Check the technique:





Delphine Diallo
Photographer/Visual Artist/Director/Video Editor

Delphine is one of my favorite photographers in NY. I first came across her work while browsing through myspace, and I have been an addict ever since. I love the combination of culture, layer and illustration she combines to create her masterpiece.

WHAT DO YOU DO? photograph, drawing, shooting video and dreaming
TRUE BEAUTY IS…inside and outside
BEATS…dj premier
TRUE SEXY IS…natural
MUSIC IS MY…inspiration
ART DOES NOT…follow the trendy world
MY NIGHTS ARE…beautiful
THESE 3 TURN ME ON…selfish, not humble(??), ignorance
SELF-KNOWLEDGE …the best way to understand people
ENOUGH OF …imagination
MY CREATIVITY IS…my soul
TRUE POWER IS…creativity
LIFE CAN BE THE..
TO LOVE IS TO…share
I'VE GOT FLOW BECAUSE….i got the heart full of love





(I shot this photo of her @ a Dante's Fried Chicken party..)
Check the technique:






Pursuit Grooves

Dj/Producer/Visual Artist/Designer

Pursuit Grooves aka Vanese Smith has made her mark all over the BK scene and beyond. Getting love for her soulful electronic sound, she has been blessing the streets with innovative music production, skills on the turntables and whatever else she can pull out of her sleeve. I'm so excited to see what pops off this summer... in her mix.


WHAT DO YOU DO? make and play music
TRUE BEAUTY IS? sunlight
BEATS? I dig them... alot
TRUE SEXY IS? simplicity
MUSIC IS MY? foundation, salvation and sanity
ART DOES NOT? have limits
MY NIGHTS ARE? filled with zzzzzzzzz ( I like to sleep)
THESE 3 TURN ME ON? organic peanut butter and jelly sammiches/ gluten free pizza/ kale
SELF-KNOWLEDGE ? is important
ENOUGH OF ? selfishness...lets grow together
MY CREATIVITY IS? done my own special way
TRUE POWER IS? control
LIFE CAN BE THE... best you make it
TO LOVE IS TO? feel
I'VE GOT FLOW BECAUSE? I spit fyah rhymes...when I want!
IN 2009, ILL BE... chillin on a beach somewhere...

Check the technique:

Pursuit Grooves remix of Oh Sheila



Ok, this was just the beginning.. Up on deck next Black Cracker, Christina Rimstad, Siaira Harris and tons more..

xoxoxo
Sarah White




No comments: